The PERIN network, which results from the professionalisation of the R&TD Framework Programme Promotion Office (FPPO), arises in the context of national priority that the promotion of R&D, innovation and digital transformation activities has assumed in the framework of public policies and its effective insertion in the European context.
The PERIN network objectives:
- To monitor the preparation, promotion and implementation of the European Union Research and Innovation Framework Programmes and other relevant research and innovation instruments, in particular activities in the fields of Space, Digital Transformation, Advanced Computing, R&D in the defence and security sectors, among others, as well as activities specifically targeted for companies, such as the European Innovation Council (EIC) under Horizon Europe, and the EUREKA/EUROSTARS Programme;
- Articulate and promote the activities referred to in the previous point, with particular emphasis on the preparation and implementation of European Union programmes in the field of higher education and post-secondary training, in close collaboration with the DGES and the agencies with which it is associated (including the ERASMUS National Agency + Education and Training), in particular regarding mobility of teachers and students and joint training and degrees;
- To coordinate the preparation of the Portuguese Presidency of the Council of the European Union in the first half of 2021, in the field of science, technology and higher education, including space and digital, shared with the Presidency of Germany and Slovenia, following the Work Programme agreed between Portugal and these Member States and the established agenda.
The PERIN network includes:
- Group of Delegates, National Contact Points and European Programmes Experts;
- Portugal-Europe Liaison Office for Research and Innovation, - set up in Brussels (i.e., “Portugal in Europe Research and Innovation Liaison Office”);
- Network of linking elements in Research and Innovation (i.e., “Portugal in Europe Liaison Officers”), set up in different partnerships and international organisations;
- Network of Centres for the Promotion of Research and Innovation within the framework of European Programmes, to stimulate national institutions of Science, Technology and Higher Education, including universities and polytechnics, research units, among others.